Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Ah, SO jobless!


The weekend after a few arduous days is one of the times when I’m really jobless and I (like many others, I daresay) like to spend it doing something completely pointless yet engaging. After trying out the various other ways in which I can spend my surplus time- like sleeping or watching a movie or reading a novel, I move on to the afore-mentioned vacuous activities. The tough part in deciding what to do is finding something new to do each time. Once the idea sparks, I get completely absorbed in whatever activity I’ve chosen for the day- which could be trying to sketch something (even though my drawing skills are not something I would brag about) or making something out of old cardboard boxes or trying my hand at cooking (ahem!) or origami or... well, I guess you see a pattern by now! It’s really astonishing how time flies once I’m into it! It’s almost as if someone made the otherwise sluggish clock tick faster all of a sudden. To be very frank, these are some of the rare occassions when I concentrate so much! :P Once I’m done, I examine, re-examine and re-re-examine what I’ve been doing from EVERY possible angle to make it “perfect”, till I get tired of the repeated scrutinising. Although I think it’s perfect, the comments my friends generally make on these creative ventures of mine are on the lines of- “Are you THAT jobless?!? <eyes wide with shock>” What I made might look hideous to everyone’s eyes, but to me, it’s one of the most artistic things in the world (EVEN if it ends up in the dustbin a few weeks later :P). Merely looking at it gives me the satisfaction of spending my time doing something that actually involved brain activity outside the academic context, in a leisurely manner and yet for something that was absolutely superfluous! Hmmm, I suppose writing this post classifies as one of them too... <chuckle> I really can’t help but agree with a friend who once said, “Weekends don’t count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless!”<*grin*>

No comments: