Before I forget, let me wish y’all a happy and prosperous new year!
I’ve posted just once, this whole year! *gasp* In my defence, It’s still 2011 where I live now. :P
Well, 2011 was a busy year for me. By busy I also mean there were times when I was busy being idle. It started off with the final semester of my undergrad. During which, I spent most of my time eating out (who says no to food at good restaurants?), watching Malcolm in the middle, sleeping, chatting with friends, reminiscing and yeah, occasionally working on my final project. I left behind four years of my life at that place, but I brought a whole lot of memories (strangely, not many of them have anything to do with what was taught). I made a few very good friends and I feel richer having them. I got an opportunity to study abroad and I decided to take it up.
When there were about 15 days for my departure, it struck me that I was going to a place that’s almost half way around the globe! (Yes, till then, I hadn’t bothered taking a good look at the globe in my bedroom). My parents, brother and some relatives came to the airport to send me off and I couldn’t help thinking how lucky I was. Every time my eyes got misty, my cousins cracked jokes or tickled me to stop me and my mum from crying. I said goodbye to them outside the airport. And then, after I checked in my luggage, I turned around to find them inside the airport. No matter how many times I said bye to them, it wasn’t enough. I guess they realized I’d never leave, if they didn’t do something about it and so, they pushed me towards the emigration counter. With one last glance at them, I started walking away from all I'd known for the past 21 years!
Though it wasn’t my first flying experience, before stepping into the aircraft, I had these scary thoughts of the craft plummeting into the sea. (If you don’t know I’m capable of being so neurotic, you shouldn’t be reading this post!) Thank God nothing like that happened! And here I am now. In a new land, with new people, a different culture, yada yada yada... After 21 years in India, the US, strangely, didn’t take me by surprise, at first. (Thanks to Hollywood and all the TV series I’ve watched). But once I started living here, I started to appreciate (and criticize) a lot of things! One of the best things about living here is the freedom of being far from home. Don’t get me wrong, my family wasn’t the kind who chained and bound me to them 24x7. But living alone in a distant land is strangely liberating. And it makes me feel grown up. (yay!) My roommates are all from different parts of the world and I’m glad to have them as roommates for more than one reason. They’re friendly, we talk a lot about our countries and they respect my privacy. The people here, in general, are the cheerful sort! They greet you and help you with even the stupidest questions you might have, patiently and this was a pleasant change after having to talk to the government employees in the administrative block of my undergrad college! Or for that matter, any government employee in India! Another thing I love about this country is how I can cross the roads without worrying about a passing vehicle running me over! Within my campus, the cars actually wait for students to cross! After having to cross roads in India, believe me, you can close your eyes and walk and still be safe here! :D
The education system is quite different from what we have back home. (Of course, that’s why we Indians come here!) It’s much more rigorous and intensive. Homework every week, reading and projects all make sure that you’ve grasped the concept clearly and completely. Reading research papers was something that we rarely did, back in India. But here, it has become a weekly activity. A quarter has passed and I somehow scraped through it with mediocre grades. Hopefully, the coming ones will be better.
While I love the independence, it also means I’ve to do a lot of things myself- especially cooking- which I’d never done before. A month before leaving home, my mum started pestering me to spend time in the kitchen so that I’d pick up some recipes and would hopefully, not starve to death when I’ve to cook myself. Let’s just say I’ve developed a fondness for cereal (which I used to hate while at home) and bread and jam, after landing here. Going grocery shopping is fun. Being the ever-confused soul, I spend at least 30 minutes at the grocery store and most of the time goes in deciding if I should buy something that looks/seems delicious.
Since the quarter ended, I’ve had almost a whole month to myself, which I’ve spent reading (and sleeping, of course). It was really nice to go back to reading novels, after reading a lot of academic material during the quarter! I’ve had a very relaxing break. And a very boring one too! And today, as 2011 ends here, in a couple of hours, I’m reminiscing and ranting on like I’m drunk (no, I’m very sober, actually.). It has been another year with a pot-pourri of experiences- both good and bad. I made a lot of new friends and I’m happy I met them. As the year ends, I can only hope I’ve come out as a better person and maybe, just maybe, that I’ve grown up a little too! Hope 2012 turns out to be better than the gone year!
Signing off for now,
Moonstruck
PS. Sorry for the long rant. ^_^
PPS. I promise to trouble you again a few more times, with my posts, before next New Year's Eve!
No comments:
Post a Comment